This requires PowerBI Pro.
- Go to your PBI service. Left Menu/Apps. Get Apps.
- Select Githb Repository Usage.
Githb Repository Usage App
This is the description of the app:
“Visualize different types of repository usage: commits, active users, traffic and more.”
- Click on “Get It Now”.
- A popup opens to confirm your details.
- If you don’t have PowerBI Pro, it will show a popup ‘Upgrade to Power BI Pro’.
- Select Buy Now or Try Free (for 60 days).
- You might need to repeat the steps if nothing is loaded on the page.
- A popup should say “Install this Power BI app? (Github Repository Usage)”.
- Click “Install”
Apps tab (left menu), the app is listed as
Github. Click on the app.
By default it says “You are viewing this app with sample data.” With a link to “Connect your data”. It is unclear at this point what dataset or repo was used or if it’s dummy data.
I would like to know:
- Who are the top 50 users by group (MS employees or external)? Then find out commit frequency by group.
- What are the common commit subjects? What are they committing about?
- Which day of the week do they commit the most by group?
Explore the dashboard
It looks like the dashboard is focused on PR and Issues. However, it’s still not clear which repo is this data from. The data I am interested in, is in the tile
Commits. It shows
Total commits vs
Month-Year. I would like to at least see
Total Commits vs
Day of the week.
On the top right of the tile, click on the three dots and select
Go to report.
Click on the visual
Commits. It shows these
Filters on the right:
Total commits is greater than 0. I want to change the X-axis to
Day of the week.
On the top right menu, browse to
Personalize this visual. On the popup
Personalize, change the X-axis field
DayName. The visual is updated but the X-axis only shows
Sunday data. Why?
Something is not right with Commits
There isn’t a filter enabled that has only
Sunday selected by default. Change the value from
DayOfWeek. I’d assume it showed the numbers
7 on the X-axis. However, it only shows the number
Change the field back to
Date field (from X-axis) by clicking the three dots and selecting